Yukon Housing Corporation

Programs & Services

Social Housing


Yukon Housing Corporation's social housing program is primarily for low-income individuals, families and seniors in need of housing who cannot obtain affordable and suitable housing on the private housing market. Applicants must be Yukon residents. YHC rental housing stock exists in Whitehorse and in nine rural Yukon communities.

Social housing ‘Rent is Geared to Income’ (RGI) and is 25% of the total gross monthly household (combined) income. To be eligible for social/seniors housing, household income must be under the following thresholds  known as Housing Income Limits or HILS:

Bachelor: $39,000.
1 bedroom: $49,000.
2 bedroom: $53,500.
3+ bedroom: $74,500.

Rural Yukon:

HILS current as of summer 2017

Seniors Housing 600 College Drive

Applications for social housing are assessed by local advisory boards on the basis of applicant need and unit availability. YHC Housing Managers in each community housing office are responsible for the day-to-day administration of the local social housing units.

The YHC Tenant Handbook provides more information about living in YHC social housing.

Takhini Duplex Family Housing

In addition to providing social housing for low-income households, YHC has policies that enable other persons in specific circumstances to be prioritized for YHC housing.

Yukon’s demographic is changing due to an aging population, and there are other factors that may influence persons to seek social housing services. These factors include rural seniors seeking housing in Whitehorse for medical reasons, victims of violence and abuse who are seeking accommodation away from abusers and persons experiencing mobility challenges in their existing accommodations. 

New Family Housing Units in Ross River

YHC also has a limited rent supplement program in Whitehorse where social housing clients may rent private sector accommodation and YHC supplements the rent difference between the RGI amount that the tenant pays and the market rent that the landlord charges.

Need more information on the Social Housing Program? Contact us.

To apply for YHC's Rent Geared to Income or Rent Supplement programs, fill out the Social Housing Application Form (English / French) or visit our Grant Programs page.

Contact us

410 Jarvis Street
Whitehorse YT
Y1A 2H5 

Mailing address:
Yukon Housing Corporation
Box 2703 (Y-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon
Y1A 2C6

Phone: (867) 667-5759
Toll-free (in Yukon): 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5759
Fax: (867) 667-3664
Email: ykhouse@gov.yk.ca